Sunday, November 9, 2008

Comics for Kids


I can’t say that my anticipation of reading the Watchmen was at quite the level of Burtan, but I was a little more excited about reading this book than most I start. I am not much of a reader but I guess because I read a few comics as a child, this book interested that part of me. As I began reading the book my view of comics was very similar to Burtan’s. I was immediately drawn into the story and at the same time turned off by the format. I believe as a child it was easier to skip around and read because of how quickly a child’s mind can be distracted. We have all been trained to read a novel and stay focused and it became a challenge to break this habit. I also agree that reading the novel was exhausting. Many times I found myself stopping, not because I was tired of reading, but because my mind needed to catch up and take a break as it attempted to keep up with everything going on. In the end the story did entertain me but I believe my favorite part was going back into the story after reading and picking out pieces we discussed in class. The depth of the story amazed me and for a genre I had always related with childhood this new type of comic created a new joy for reading. I completely agree with Burtan about the fascination with reading the novel and the feelings experienced while reading. I believe that many of my initial feelings about the novel were based on the comic book readings of my childhood. After reading the Watchmen my views on comic books have changed and can see how it may soon be a interesting part of contemporary literature. It was an exciting story and a type of novel that with a little more practice I could see myself truly enjoying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this pic!!!