Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Little Too Strange


So far this semester I have read many stories that I really liked and those I did not like at all. For my free post I wanted to talk about two of these stories. My least favorite story is "The Decent of Man". This story is just a little too strange for me and I believe Boyle is simply expressing problems he has with others views. It does make the reader think and is a great piece of work to analyze, but is not interesting enough to keep the reader interested. Boyle very clearly expresses his dislike for the ideas of Dawin although in my mind his way of doing it is very ineffective. My favorite piece of work this semester is "The Man From Mars". Just like in "The Decent of Man" the story expresses dislike, but instead of the ideas of Dawin the story expresses dislike for those who are not open to other cultures. Atwood gets this point across in what I feel is a very effective way. The short story contains many themes that the reader can relate too and the story does not incorporate any crazy ideas, such as a woman having sex with a monkey. I do understand the purpose for each of the two works but I also believe that although all writing has a place in postmodern thought, some types of writing do not appeal to all audiences.

No comments: